Sunday, February 25, 2018

Israel Museum Tiyul - Max Young

          I know this is a little late, but hey, better late than never. Last week we took a trip to the famous Israel Museum in Jerusalem. Not only do we see breathtaking beauty in the many exhibits and statues, but we can learn so much from them. From taking a second to look at the sky, hear the birds, and breathe, to seeing actual and replicas of the original Dead Sea scrolls. One of my personal favorites was the room with the open roof, and looked much like a painting (as you see on the right). Sadly, my assignment is to talk about the Jews in the Roman period instead of how amazing the Israel Museum was aside from the education. So, I guess I have to dive into that.




The Jews in the Roman period were a diverse group to say the least, and much like today they ranged on a wide spectrum of their Judaism. Some believing that it was more important than all else to retain Judaism and all of its traditions, and others thought that maybe a little bit of assimilation wasn't all that bad. This resulted in a lot of dilemmas that coming up for the Jews. On one hand, the Romans were treating them fairly well, and it wouldn't be smart to taint that relationship considering they ran the place. But on the other hand, that might mean having to leave behind some Jewish traditions and laws to maintain a healthy relationship with them. Like in class, we were given a dilemma of what to do when invited to a party by an authority figure on Shabbat. It would be rude to say no, but it's the Sabbath and there would definitely be non-Kosher food there. Even though that is just an example in class, there were most likely situations just like it. So, some Jews kept their culture, and didn't assimilate with the Romans. Others, said to heck with Judaism, I want a good life here. This resulted in the creation of four major sects in Judea at the time. 

But before we get to that, what about Jerusalem itself? The actual city of the Jewish people. The most important site to our religion. Surely that stayed Jewish right? Kinda. Plenty of buildings were influenced by Roman architecture. Even at the temple, we can see columns (which are Roman). In the surrounding area of Judea, many houses are based off of Roman architecture, and the more Roman they are, the bigger they get. From this model we can see what the old city looked like during the Roman period (basically). Every time there is a new discovery about a building in the time period, it's added to the model. While it isn't an exact replica of the actual city, it is the closest thing that there is to what the old city looked like. 








      Back to the four sects formed during this period, the Pharisees, Essenes, Sadducees, and Zealots. The Pharisees being the lower-class rabbis that didn't like the Romans. The Essenes being those who moved out near the Dead Sea in waiting of the messiah and were obsessed with cleanliness. The Sadducees being the priests who only believed in the written law of the Torah, and were friends with the Romans. Finally the Zealots were the extreme Jews who hated Roman rule and would kill them and any Jew who wasn't with them. As you can see, the groups have a wide range of Jewishness and beliefs. Much like today, with all the different sects of Judaism. Personally, I'm not sure which sect I would identify with the most, considering that all of them have some extreme flaws. I guess I would have to go with the Pharisees because I wouldn't like Roman rule, but I wouldn't cause a war amongst the people. 

The question that I want to leave with you is, which sect of Judaism in this time do you identify with the most? What relations to your life do you see in that sect?





15 comments:

  1. I would relate most to the Pharisees. I would never hand over myself into another religion. I believe that in order to keep a religion and a people growing, we have to stay strong and be ourselves. I don't think we should change who we are and what we believe in based off of what a bigger group of people thing. However, I believe every opinion matters and people shouldn't have to try and take action on those who don't agree with them. I would never consider violance as an answer. Especially when the Romans were a stronger and larger army. Why fight with violence when a matter can be solved through listening to each other and respecting each others differences. The best action that should've been taken is acceptance. I live to see the good in people and not focus on the bad and taking violent actions focuses on the bad and causes more harm in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this time I think I would relate the most to the Pharisees. While I am certainly no low-income rabbi, I believe in the importance of the oral law and that interpretations of the Torah are just as important as what is actually written. In my life, I like to think I am a relatively free-thinker; creative yet realistic. While the rabbis solved problems based on new interpretations of the Torah that were rejected by the Sadducees, they realistically saw that a full on battle with their Roman authority would be to the disadvantage of the Jews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t indentify with any sect. Personally, I see extreme faults in all. If I lived at this time, I would want to follow Jewish traditions while assimilating into Roman culture. Today, in American society, I follow Jewish and American traditions. For example, while I do not celebrate Christmas, I participate in many of its traditions. I also tend to follow my own moral code versus Jewish or American traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to a mixture of both the Sadducees and the Pharisees. I am fortunate to come from an affluent background and grew up having a lot. In that sense I relate to the Sadducees because of my upbringing and the neighborhood I live in. On the other hand, I relate to the Pharisees because I believe in the importance of oral law and the interpretations of the Torah. The Pharisees were made up of rabbis who thought that a battle with the Romans would lead to the collapse of Judaism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I relate most to the Pharisees, because of their belief in staying loyal to Judaism and giving authority to oral law interpretations as well as written law. However, I do not believe in sitting passively and allowing people to take advantage of you, like the Pharisees allowed the Romans to do. In this way, I agree with the Zealots about fighting back against the Romans but fundamentally disagree with fighting other Jews. The Zealots did not think that in order to preserve the Jewish future they had to work together with all Jews, but rather believed they should wipe out the cowardly Jews who didn’t fight back so only the strongest elite survived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, I identify with the Pharasees. It's blatantly obvious why, though; they continued the Jewish way after the Churban Baytsheni. This already foreshadowed us as Jews having traditions very similar to the practices of the ancient Pharasees rather than any of the other Jewish sects of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I would identify most with the Pharisees. A lot of that is that their type of Judaism is the way we practice today, and they didn't like to kill people. The zealots are definitely too intense for me. The Essenes were mostly men, so I don't know that I would really fit, and I'm not all that concerned with the Messiah. And the Saducees were all wealthy, very observant, and thought they were superior which i'm not a huge fan of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would most likely identify with the Pharisees, because just like them, I have assimilated to the modern day culture but maintained my Jewish identity. Just like them, I'd say I'm pretty against murder as well. The Zealots were too obsessed in my opinion and were not living life by their standards but by God's. I feel that a fair balance between religion and self identity in life is necessary which is why I identify with the Reform Judaism movement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would say that I identify with the Pharisees but with a little zealot in me too. I am not as radical as the zealots but I share their passion for maintaining the jewish tradition. I like the pharisees because they are the more modest rabbinical group back then and I like that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I identify most with the Pharisees. I would want to maintain my Jewish identity and I wouldn’t passively let the Romans assimilate me into their own culture and force me to give up Judaism. However I do believe that some parts of Roman culture were fine to follow. I am both an American and a Jew with both cultures part of my identity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It may sound weird but I almost feel as if I recognize with the Esseens. I feel as I practice Judaism a bit differently and interpret from many different views. I feel that the Esseens took themselves out of society for these types of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I relate most to the Zealots because of there commitment to defending there Judaism. This is because I feel it is important to defend your culture and people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I see extreme flaws with all groups, I think that I would identify most with the Zealots. The pharisees were upset but unmotivated, the Essenes were running away, and the Sadducees betrayed their own culture and sense of self in order to assimilate. The zealots has strong beliefs, they knew what they had to do, and they were willing to do it. I think that this attitude is closer to how I am than any other group.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I would be one of the pharisees. For starters today we have rabbis today and that is what the pharisees were back in the day. Additionally I would not want to be forced to convert to another religion and would not have been happy with Roman rule. But I would not want to forcibly remove the Romans cause I know that would not go well just as the pharisees Knew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed the Israel Museum. I really wish we had more time to explore it on our own because the art is absolutely magnificent. With that being said, I'm very glad to have spent so much time in the Dead Sea Scroll Library. To see such an important artifact in our Jewish history is really inspiring and quite frankly awesome. It proves our ancientness as a people and demonstrates how little our original texts have changed.

    ReplyDelete

Security Tiyul - Caleb Ernst   Last Wednesday, Kitat Keshet had it's final real tiyul which focused on three main things, Second Intif...