Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Oral Law- Max Young

The mitzvah I have chosen from Leviticus is the following:

Leviticus 19.14 - “You shall not insult the deaf, or place a stumbling block before the blind.
You shall fear your God: I am the Lord.”

I have chosen this mitzvah for many reasons, both personal and rooted in Judaism. I believe
that this helps to build a fence around the Torah because it furthers the main point of the Torah and
Judaism as a whole. Treat others the way that you wish to be treated. This helps to cover all of
the bases around that idea, accounting not just for those who are like you, but those who have
disabilities. This resonates with me personally because I am a firm believer in inclusion. Not
just when it comes to people who are deaf or blind, but people with all kinds of mental and physical
handicaps. I believe that merely because someone has a condition, it shouldn't excommunicate them
from a group or even an event. Beyond that, making fun of someone with a condition that they
have no control over is both wrong in the Torah, and in common sense. I strive to be able to treat
everyone equally, and give every person the same opportunities, no matter if they are blind, deaf, or
otherwise. The Jewish people and the world as a whole are and should be a Kehillah Kedosha.
People should be treated as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Security Tiyul - Caleb Ernst   Last Wednesday, Kitat Keshet had it's final real tiyul which focused on three main things, Second Intif...