Thursday, April 12, 2018



 Majdanek Concentration & Death Camp
Majdanek

As we tried our best to think about the life in Poland, we had to talk about death. I was constantly asking myself why we were there. We were not on this journey for a good reason. We did not want to be there. But because of what took place there during The Second World War, we were there to learn, pray, and remember the lives of six million people. This brings me to death. A topic that affects so many, making them feel scared, sad, uncomfortable and uneasy. We as a group visited the sight of mix between a concentration camp, and death camp. As we approached the entranced, my teacher paused us and said, “Welcome to Hell on Earth.” We were at Majdanek.
Crematorium
This place was cold, lifeless and smelled like what I can only describe as the smell of death. We walked through the gas chambers. Then we walked through the bunks, and the proceeded to the crematorium. Yes, I am describing a camp where people were brought, and for the most part would never leave.
Standing at the edge of the gas chamber...
No words will describe what lays there. We stepped into the crematorium, and that's when it really hit me. How could anyone, do this to another living person. No words can put an image, any detail to what you see there. Finally it was time to ascend to the monument built by the soviets. This monument was built by the USSR after the holocaust to remember the lives that were lost there. The monument reads, “Let our fate be a warning to you.” As I climbed up the stairs, I knew what it was, and I did not want to see it anymore, and after a few seconds I ran down the steps in tears. There was pile of human ashes. A mountain of human ashes lay in front of my eyes. One humans ashes fills one cup. And there was a mountain. 
So I leave you with this one question: Do you think this monument should have been built, and do you think the Soviets message written is accurate for what took place?

2 comments:

  1. I believe that the memorial is important because, to me, the ashes just look like a pile of dirt. Without the memorial, I believe that the piles of ash would be significant, but it draws attention to what occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This memorial hit me hard and took on a bigger meaning. As much as I hated looking at it, I think it was important that it was built. It showed the importance of remembering, and how sad it was. That pile of ashes is our people.

    ReplyDelete

Security Tiyul - Caleb Ernst   Last Wednesday, Kitat Keshet had it's final real tiyul which focused on three main things, Second Intif...